Saturday, May 27, 2017

Best of the Interwebs

At the top of the blog I have a quote from Charlie Munger; "I believe in the discipline of mastering the best that other people have ever figured out. I don’t believe in just sitting there and trying to dream it up all yourself. Nobody’s that smart."

After three decades of investing and speculating I have found that I am not the smartest guy in the room. It therefore behooves me to take a look at what others are doing and if they come up with a great idea then I consider applying it to my investing repertoire.

An example is discovering the research that Meb faber has done and continues to do (especially around CAPE). This is one smart guy and I highly recommend you read his books and listen to his podcast.

I do quite a bit of research on the internet and occasionally run into other individual investors websites and blogs. Some of these sites and blogs are really good. There are quite a few people that are sharing great investment ideas for free.

When I run into a great idea I am happy to take a position in what someone else has discovered or researched to the point of an idea becoming actionable.

Such is the case with a recent idea I cribbed from "The Alpha Vulture Blog". It is a merger arbitrage opportunity that is a bit complicated and probably not for most people. Nevertheless, it appeals to me and I have taken a small position.

I like this type of deal and I really enjoyed going back in the blog's archives and seeing other ideas that the author came up with.

As Charlie Munger says nobody is smart enough to figure it all out themselves so when I find another investor who has good ideas I will pass it on to readers of AIA.


 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...